#aws #reinvent 2018 – my tips, tricks and photos
AWS re:invent is huge. So here’s my tips and tricks:
- Good shoes. Not new ones, but comfy ones. There’s a lot of walking, the hotels are huge! This is about 1/6 of the registration hall at the Venetian. The scale is so big it’s hard to get it in a photo!
- Room snacks. You’ll get a lot of free food and drink but sometimes you need a snack, and you definitely will need water. Rather than use the hugely expensive hotel shops I go to the shops literally next door on the strip to buy bottles of water.
- Portable phone charger. Your phone will run out of batteries due to all the picture taking, tweeting and app shenanigans.
- Schedule your sessions early. Yep, I know it’s too late now, but there’s still going to be a lot of open repeats, and the overflow rooms are actually pretty cool, with a silent disco vibe of coloured headsets.
- Parties. There’s lots, follow @reinventParties for details!
- How to guide: Watch the Youtube How To Reinvent Guide
- Certification Lounge: If you’re certified, go to the certification lounge. There’s a slightly higher than 0 chance of the occasional seat – which is a remarkable thing at re:invent. And it’s full of doughnuts and retro games machines 🙂
- Find a secret coffee shop. The main ones will have big queues and the generally available free coffee is ok, but I like to go to my secret coffee shop. Sorry, I won’t over expose it.
- Expect change. There will be some huge announcements, and a sudden unveiling of loads of extra sessions so be prepared to change your schedule at the last moment. I tend to prioritise my sessions so I’ve already decided which ones I can drop and which ones I won’t. If you’re going to drop one, do it early so you can release the reserved seats. My account team are being tight-lipped, but based on the amount of stuff that’s been already announced, and their teasing – I’m expecting big things.
- Follow your learning style. There are all sorts of different things like presentations, chalk talks, deep dives, hackathons, workshops, gamedays etc. Do what works for you not what everyone else is doing.
- Painkillers. Take some, whether it’s flights, jet lag, crazy long days, too much partying or just the intensity of a big event, headaches are fairly inevitable. Or maybe that’s just me.
- Take an Echo. For music in your room, naturally 🙂
- Manage your swag! It’s possible to get too much swag. And then you need to buy another suitcase to bring it home. Doh!